Year 10 & 11
Applying for college
Students should be preparing for their transfer from St. Monica’s to a college of further education or an apprenticeship from year 9 or earlier, through to year 11. The challenge is not simply to write an application form, BUT to ensure that a student is clear about the career route he/she wishes to take. For example either
• Study academically the A level, university route or
• Follow a work related ‘a vocational’ course at college or
• Apply to do an apprenticeship
- The main work is started at the beginning of year 11 and starts with the College Guidance Day usually in early October. This is organized in school as a careers fair, but with all the local colleges, Connexions and a number of ‘apprenticeship Training Providers’ in attendance. Parents are considered a very important part of the process not only to support their children, but also to acquaint themselves of the range of possibilities now available to students.
- Next are a series of lessons, where students write personal statements and C.V’s and are prepared to begin make an application to a college(s) or training provider. As part of this process students will be encouraged to ATTEND the OPEN EVENINGS that colleges lay on to familiarize themselves with the colleges.
Further, they are given the deadlines for applications to the colleges and these are noted below:
For starting in September 2018
Holy Cross - Friday 1st December 2017
Bury College - No deadline but priority for applications received before 24th November 2017
Loreto College - Friday 12th January 2018
Xaverian College - Friday 19th January 2018
Bolton College - No deadline but sooner the better
Salford College - No deadline but sooner the better
Hopwood College (Rochdale) - No deadline but sooner the better
- Students are given an interview date by the college. These are usually offered between mid November and February, depending on the college and the date of application.
- Students are given a ‘conditional’ offer of acceptance into the college, usually around Easter time. NOW students who have made more than one application MUST decide which college they wish to attend.